Wednesday, December 14, 2011

THAT SINKING FEELING..


It is not in a very great mood that I write this..Actually quite unhappy..This feeling has not crept in this morning..It actually has its roots for the past 30 years during my growing up..This
feeling is about our country..It’s about INDIA.
Though I have never been much of a patriot any day, I have never hated my country..Actually for a certain period ( 2005-2008) and also after the worldwide financial crisis of 2008 and how
India got out of it, I was really feeling to get proud for the way we handled this crisis and how our conventional & old fashioned school of thought helped us stay out of it in a major way. Also, because people like me who would have struggled otherwise, got absorbed by the corporate sector, got paid well and are doing pretty ok for ourselves, due to the “INDIA GROWTH STORY”.
But in the same breadth, I have been an advocate of the developed world like the US during those times and shouted to anyone who heard my voice as to how US would come out of it
strongly..I also added that it is the people and the attitude of this people that will help them come out strong and prove the world that they are not the world’s most powerful economy for no cause...Though the current situation there is not the most attractive one, but they are on their way back and have fought well..
US also have had a positive image on my background because of the things that I heard from my NRI relatives..I realised that they never had to fight the basics of life..Basic food, water, electricity were not to be asked..It was a given..Also, life for them was a struggle only to earn and earn more..not because their telephone was not working due to the cable cut by the guy trying to fix the drainage or not because they had no drainage, because the electricity guy cut the drainage pipe while fixing the power cord...
But this is not about US or about the comparison..This is just about India..The reason I had to pick up my laptop and start typing @ 6 in the morning is the negativity in the air was really
bothering me beyond any control for the past few months..I will just spell out the top few things and you will gauge my mood and why..
1) Corruption
2) Inflation
3) Increasein fuel prices, then decrease, then again increase
4) Jan lok pal bill
5) Re appreciating against the dollar
6) IIP(index of industrial production) nos going down
7) Fiscal deficit increasing ( due to balance of payments)
8) Corporate India not happy due to major policy decision not moving
9) FDI in retail decision scrapped due to allies not being happy
10) UID not getting funds and getting scrapped.
( India’s win against West Indies was a positive but I am mentioning it here separately because I am sure we will have a tough time in Australia)
All of the above points in themselves are a topic and I am quite sure of writing a few pages on them but not now..What I am trying to point out is that not only have we moved very
slowly for the past 50-60 years, we are now embarking in a very dangerous
direction..A direction which is quite capable of taking us backward to pre 90’s though not in the same way.. For me the funda of growth is very simple..
a) Government to give infrastructure and favourable environment to Corporates
general public.
b) Corporates will create industries and more jobs, also will earn more and pay more taxes.
c) People with jobs will spend on good & services; also will pay more taxes to the govt.
d) Govt again to make infrastructure and favourable environment and the cycle to
continue..
The problem is when you try to choke the corporate world..Try and stop policy decisions in turn stopping their growth..Asking for illicit money to take forward policy decisions or to favour
a singly corporate against the other...this type of behaviour sets them back..They try and start looking for opportunities outside the country..The capex that would give us a better infrastructure and a better industry will not be set up outside India only due to the favourable environment and policies..
The government ( and all of them sitting there but I will write govt because they are the ones supposed to take the decision against all odds..We voted them to power for that) is paralysing us.. And if the vaccine is not given now, there is a sure chance that we will suffer from Polio and India will lose its limbs..

JAY HIND!!

No comments: