Saturday, September 4, 2010

Wandering thoughts...

04 Sep. 10

My brother just reminded me that I had stopped writing “blogs”. Simply put, stopped writing. So why had I let all those unstructured thoughts vanish?

These days I am staying alone. It’s been about 6 months now and I just wander around the house alone. I walk to a nearby tea shop to have tea/coffee twice a day on weekends just as a pretext, though I have ample of milk and other ingredients required. I feel good when I venture out and breathe that air, see the people, the shops, the traffic.. (Some will say, don’t u have enough of them over the week?) no seriously..

I have around 300 contacts in my phonebook, some 195 odd friends on Facebook, am following 92 people on twitter and some 50 odd are following me, 15 odd BBM ( Blackberry messenger contacts), 1 wife and 1 brother. The reason I mentioned these 2 people separately even though they being part of all ( almost all..Thank god wife is not on twitter) the above social “networking” sites, r the 2 most and anytime accessible people in my life.( these days, even wife is not so easily accessible since she has found someone..JUNIOR).

When I was in Ahmedabad, my wife complained that I don’t give her enough time. I myself complained that I don’t give enough time to myself. Now that I have all the possible time in the world , I am complaining that the people I know do not give me enough time. I yearn for the phone to ring or the BBM to blink. Contradiction?? Actually no..

In spite of all of the above means and ways to stay connected with people, when you actually feel like calling someone and talking to them there is this small “jhijhak” whether that person will be in a position to speak to u or would like to do so. I was utterly surprised at myself when one of these days I asked a very close friend of mine on twitter if I can call him and speak to him. Strange? Actually very strange.

Our lives today are so hectic and we are so much under time pressure that our groups of interactions are getting smaller and convenience based. We get very little time for ourselves or our dear ones, that we want to try and spend that time just among those 2-3 people as per our convenience. Hasnt it happened that one of your old close friend is online and though u haven’t spoken to him/her for a long time, u get invisible..Not because u don’t want to speak to him. It’s just that you don’t want to talk to him “just now” because u only have an “X” amount of time with you which is truly yours and you already have a predicided menu for that . Just try and recollect from your list of “friends” that we have on our “lists”, when was the last time we spoke on a one to one and you will be surprised to find that you would not have done that with 90% of them in a long time unless the list is made up of only office colleagues !!

Times will change and I will be back with my family. These thoughts will again start wandering in the opp direction. .

*The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the view of the general public

1 comment:

ishita said...

sooooo true..... well written...... could relate to most of it.....